Pages

Friday, August 23, 2013

Best Laid Plans and the Start of our School Year

All summer I was planning to start school this past Monday.  I worked hard to get all of our Sonlight Core into Homeschool Tracker, and got it all done.  The calendar was empty Monday, and my list had the huge holes in it indicating the time that our lessons take up.

Seems we often get colds in the summer--usually just once.  Well they hit last week.  Belle went down first.  I think she picked it up from one of the kids at the daycare.  She had it a few days, and then Saturday night, Boo came down with it.  He was quite sick Sunday, and hardly moved off the couch all day.

So we held our plans loosely.  Monday morning the kids still weren't up to much, and I felt that jumping in with both feet to a full school schedule would not get things off to a good start.  So we did our "sick" schedule.  I read History and Science to the kids while they kept company with the tissue box and trash can.  It went well, and I was able to get a bit of an idea of how long some things are going to take.

We did that schedule Monday and Tuesday.  Wednesday Belle had to work, and Thursday was the first opportunity we've had all summer to take our neighbour (who doesn't drive) to town.  She has another friend who takes her sometimes, so she isn't totally dependent on me.  But we enjoy our times together.  Belle came with us.  Boo is still not feeling 100 percent.  Today we expect to travel to see some friends.  So summer is still here, and I've decided that until the beginning of September, when work for Belle will slow down, and PS kids go back to school, we will continue with a light schedule most days.  At this point,
 next week is looking at least as busy as this one.  And the lovely weather won't last a lot longer, so best to enjoy it while we can.

I am so thankful for the flexibility of homeschooling.


2 comments:

  1. I do hope that everyone feels 100% soon. You are right, the flexibility of homeschooling is such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. Thankfully we are better now.

    ReplyDelete